I like being blunt and I like straight talk. I think it is better just to bluntly say what you expect from your people than to allow them to guess or to get frustrated when someone does something you don’t like or agree with. This week, consider putting together your “nonnegotiable” list. This is a list of things that aren’t negotiable; they are things that have to be done and aren’t up for discussion. Here’s part of mine at Grunder Landscaping Co.
Marty’s Nonnegotiable List:
- We will be on time for all meetings with fellow team members, clients, and vendors.
- We will keep the gates in the driveway closed between the hours of 8 am and 3:30 pm.
- We will not put trash in the backs of the trucks and we will not dump trash in any of our composting piles. Trash goes in the dumpster.
- We will not wear muddy shoes in any of the carpeted offices.
- We will never compromise safety, never.
- We will never argue with a client.
- We will keep our shirt tails tucked in.
I have a few more, but you get the point. Remember, it’s your business or it’s your team; let them know what you expect, but don’t be afraid to tell them what is not up for discussion. Oh, yeah, don’t make the list several pages long. Just a few, please.