For the last 4 years I have had a small article from Selling Power magazine on my desk. I frequently look at it when I am on the phone. I thought there were a ton of Great Ideas in it and wanted to share it with you this week.
Never Give Up
- “I gave up on this prospect a year ago. Should I try again?” Absolutely! Last year’s bust could be this year’s diamond-studded opportunity.
- “I spent hours, if not days, on this prospect. How long should I keep trying?” It depends on the customer’s size and potential.
- “I keep calling for an appointment. The buyer doesn’t return my calls.” Try another employee. The last key on the ring often opens the door.
- “I tried dealing with this prospect before. Our personalities clash.” Find a more compatible colleague and turn over the account.
- “I can’t seem to get past the gatekeeper. Should I give up on this prospect?” Have you tried email or snail mail or accessing the buyer during off-hours?
- “A good sales rep can sell anyone.” Good attitude, but wrong assumption.
- “The prospect made an illicit proposal.” Write off the varmint.
This week look at how you’re handling each of those situations, and make sure you’re not giving up!